Next week there are several great writing contests (or regular) deadlines. Where and what shall I submit? To Narrative Magazine, Glimmer Train, A Room of Her Own, or Crazyhorse? My recent post, Drink Your Latté Through a Straw, told you about how I am building a writer’s backbone. Yesterday I submitted a short story to Sixfold, but sadly I woke up to an email postponing the contest until November. I am disappointed but there are other deadlines looming. Contrary to my thoughts on Tuesday, and since Sixfold is postponed, I will spend this weekend focussed on these publications to decide where my stories best fit.
July 31 – Glimmer Train and A Room of Her Own
- Maximum length: 3,000 words.Reading fee: $15 per story. No more than three submissions per contest.
- Prizes: 1st place wins $1,500, publication in Glimmer Train Stories, and 20 copies of that issue, 2nd place wins $500 (or, if accepted for publication, $700 and 10 copies), and 3rd place wins $300 (or, if accepted for publication, $700 and 10 copies).
- Create an account with them and submit via their online system.
A Room of Her Own
- “AROHO’s multi-genre competition is an invitation and opportunity for women writers to bring their shorter works to publication… judged by writers and publishers from Judith Freeman and Kim Barnes to poets Dana Levin and Cynthia Hogue, winning submissions in all four genres receive a $1,000 prize and are published in The Los Angeles Review. “
- The word limit for the Orlando Short Fiction and Creative Nonfiction Prizes are each 1500 words. The word limit for the Flash Fiction Prize is 500 words, and for the Poetry Prize 36 lines.
- Entry fee 15 USD per submission. Here is the Submittable link.
August 1 – BWR
BWR (Black Warrior Review)
- “[they] are looking for prose that is arresting, that grabs us from the first word and refuses to let go, that blows our minds or breaks our hearts. We want to read prose that feels unexpected, prose that fearlessly extends the boundaries of form, language, and narrative. No longer than 7000 words. “
- Here is their Submittable link to this general deadline.
Go to the 1st edition of Deadline Fridays for links to Crazyhorse, Narrative Magazine and Room Magazine.
Original photos by Amanda Wood. Visit Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia.